At the 2020 AGM held on November 15th, 2020, the membership voted to create an Ad Hoc Committee on racism and human rights to recommend EJCA’s future role.
Representatives of the Board are organizing an initial zoom meeting on Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm with interested members. We will send you the zoom meeting link the day prior to the meeting.
The first meeting is an information session, anyone is welcome. We would ask for volunteers from this group to sit on the ad hoc committee. The ad-hoc committee will discuss these topics for researching and making recommendations to the board and memberships by the end of June. We will have one meeting a month with some research time in-between.
Topics of the ad-hoc committee:
1. What is the latest position of the National Association of Japanese Canadians (NAJC) about racism?
2. What initiatives are planned by NAJC and other Japanese Canadian organizations to acknowledge the past and promote a more inclusive future?
3. The Alberta Government’s role, including project funding available that EJCA could apply for.
4. Review of September 2020 survey results.
5. What position should EJCA take and how far publicly should we go?
6. Should we focus on our past Japanese Canadian experience or support other minorities’ current experience or are both a priority?
7. What would be the most important actions we should or could take next?
We recognize the sensitivity around this topic and will move carefully. We want to develop a reasoned and ultimately positive message for EJCA and in the community.
Edmonton Japanese Community Association6750 88 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5H6
780-466-8166 / firstname.lastname@example.org日本語メール: email@example.com
Web functionality: firstname.lastname@example.org
© EJCA 2021